Employment and Member Training Policy
- Aim and Scope of the Policy.
- The Policy.
Reviewed and approved by Gillingham Town Council at their meeting of the Policy & Resources Committee Meeting held on the 15th January 2018 and adopted by the Full Council at their meeting held on the 22nd January 2018.
(To be reviewed January 2022).
- Aim and Scope of the Policy
To ensure employees and Members have access to any training opportunities that will support and benefit the work they do within the Town Council.
Gillingham Town Council recognises the importance of ongoing training for both employees and Members to ensure that the entire workforce is continually striving for best practice and is keeping abreast of new skills, procedures, practices and legislation.
- The Policy
All employees (whether part-time, full-time or temporary) and Members will be offered the same opportunities subject to this being relevant to their roles.
All employees and Members will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the council.
This policy and the associated arrangements shall operate in accordance with statutory requirements.
Gillingham Town Council’s Commitment:
- Training development and progression opportunities are available to all employees and Members.
- To promote relevant training opportunities to employees and Members.
- This Policy is fully supported by Members and the Town Clerk and has been discussed with employees.
- Training attended is reviewed each year as part of the employee appraisals and training for the year ahead is planned and discussed, providing opportunity to formally request specific training opportunities, however, employees are aware that this can be informally raised at any time with their line manager.
- The Policy will be monitored and reviewed every four years.
Responsibility of Management:
Responsibility for ensuring the effective implementation and operation of the arrangements will rest with the Members and the Town Clerk who will ensure that they, and employees, operate within this Policy and arrangements.
Management will ensure that:
- All their staff are aware of the policy arrangements, and the reasons for the policy.
- Proper training records are maintained (See Monitoring Action).
- The Town Council has an agreement in place for refund of high cost training that results in a formal qualification for employees who then leave within a year of the training (Learning Agreement already in Place).
- New Employees are provided with a full induction process.
- New Members are offered the opportunity in meeting with the Town Clerk and Chairman of the Council to receive a full briefing on their role within the Town Council and the organisation’s role and responsibilities.
- The Town Clerk is responsible for monitoring the operation of the policy.
Responsibilities of Employees and Members.
All Members and employees should willingly attend training suggested to them and actively seek relevant training for their role within the Town Council.
Related Polices and Arrangements:
Councillors Code of Conduct
Staff Employee – Contract of Employment
All employee and Members training must be recorded in Personal/Councillor Files held within the Town Council and Town Clerks Offices.