Allotments - Cemetery Road and Orchard Park
Gillingham Town Council runs 2 allotment sites in Gillingham. One next to Orchard Park Garden Centre off the Shaftesbury Road, Gillingham and the second is located behind the Garden of Remembrance, Cemetery Road, Gillingham.
If you would like to apply for an allotment please CLICK HERE.
Please note there is a long waiting list for the allotments at Cemetery Road.
Allotment Rules and Tenancy Agreement
AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN GILLINGHAM TOWN COUNCIL (hereinafter called “the Council”) of the one part and ……………………………. Of ……………………………………………………… (hereinafter “The Tenant”) of the other part whereby the Council agrees to let, and the Tenant agrees to hire as a yearly tenant, from the 1st April the Allotment Garden numbered in the Register of Allotment Gardens provided by the Council (which Register includes both Allotment Gardens provided under the power conferred on the Council by the Allotments Acts 1908 - 1950 and gardens situated on land which is held by the Council for Statutory purposes other than those of the said Act and is for the time being used as Allotment Gardens) The tenancy is subject to the following rules made by the Council and to the Allotments Acts 1908 - 1950, so far as the provisions of the latter are applicable thereto.
Gillingham Town Council will pay the Rates in respect of the Allotment Gardens
Any notices to be served by the Council on the Tenant under this Agreement shall be deemed to be sufficiently served if posted to the Tenant at his last address known to the Council by ordinary pre-paid letter post and shall be conclusively deemed to have reached the Tenant in the ordinary course of such post.
NOW IT IS AGREED as follows:
The Council agrees to let and the Tenant take the Allotment Garden specified in the First Schedule hereto which shall be held by the Tenant on a yearly tenancy from the first day of April 20 at a rent of £ p per annum payable on or before the same date in each succeeding year to the Clerk of the Gillingham Town Council subject to the following rules.
1. The Tenant shall keep his Allotment Garden at all times clean and free from weeds maintain it in a good state of cultivation and keep the allotment in a clean and tidy state.
2. The Tenant shall not under-let or assign or part with possession of the Allotment Garden or any part thereof without the permission of the Town Clerk.
3. The Tenant shall not erect on the Allotment Garden any building or structure whatsoever exceeding six feet by four feet in area and six feet six inches to the eaves; external surfaces are to be dark in colour and maintained in good condition by the Tenant to the satisfaction of the Council. Upon vacating the Allotment Garden the Tenant is responsible for clearing any building structure there from and the cost of any work carried out by the Council due to the Tenant's failure in this respect be charged to the out-going Tenant.
4. The Tenant shall not cause permit or suffer any nuisance or annoyance to the occupier of any other Allotment Garden and keep clean and tidy and in good order the paths adjoining the Allotment Garden.
5. The tenant shall not erect a fence or barbed wire adjoining any path provided for use of the occupiers of the allotment gardens.
6. There shall be NO usage, at any time, of genetically modified crops, plants or seeds and NO use of chemicals for weed spraying.
7. The tenant shall not deposit any rubbish or decaying matter in any other part of the allotment garden.
8. The Tenant shall not bring or permit to be brought on the Allotment Gardens any dog.
9. The Tenant shall not deposit, bring or use on the Allotment Garden any offal, decayed fish or other offensive matter.
10. The Tenant shall not pilfer, trespass upon, injure the crops on any other Allotment Garden any such offence or one or more like nature this Agreement shall immediately determine and be null and void and the Council by their Agents or Servants without notice, re-enter and re-possess the Allotment Garden herein referred to.
11. The Tenant shall not light bonfires.
12. The tenant shall not to keep animals or livestock of any kind on the allotment.
13. The tenant shall not erect any notice or advertisement on the allotment site
14. When a plot becomes vacant the Town Clerk will offer it to the next person on the waiting list. If the person declines the offer, due to the plot not being situated at the applicants preferred location, then it will be offered to the next person on the list. The applicant will remain at the top of the list until a plot becomes vacant at the preferred location.
15. Insofar as nothing to the contrary is herein expressly contained or implied this Agreement shall be subject to the provision the Allotment Acts 1908 to 1950.
16. This Agreement may be terminated by either party hereto giving to the other notice in writing to quit and expiring on or before this 1st day of April in any year. The Town Council may also terminate the agreement after one month's written notice.
a. If the Tenant is not duly observing any of the terms or conditions of his tenancy.
b. If the Tenant fails to respond to a notice of sub standard cultivation.
NB-The Allotment site will be inspected on a regular basis and the Town Council reserves the right to terminate the rental agreement if the standard of cultivation is deemed not to be of an acceptable standard or if of the rules are not abided by.